Table of Contents
- But first, some definitions: What Is Collagen?
- Ok, I heard you. So what collagen supplement should I take?
- So what collagen supplement should I take?
Consuming collagen may have a variety of health benefits, from relieving joint pain to improving skin health. As we have stated many times before (and continue to repeat! collagen is a naturally occurring protein found in connective tissue throughout the human body. We have also published a huge article about what is collagen, which not only explains the whole mystery around it but it also expands into various conditions.
Before we delve into which collagen supplement you should take, let's state some facts. Research suggests that consuming collagen helps improve joint health, skin elasticity, bone density, and overall well-being.
1. Collagen helps build strong bones.
2. Collagen supports skin elasticity.
3. Collagen keeps cartilage healthy.
4. Collagen helps prevent wrinkles.
5. Collagen helps reduce joint pain.
6. Collagen helps heal wounds.
But first, some definitions: What Is Collagen?
To read our 3,000-word article about what is collagen, click here. If you simply want to have an overview, the facts you need to know are:
- Collagen is the most plentiful protein in the human body.
- There are 28 different kinds of collagen, but there are four major types.
- Type II collagen is found in cartilage, bone, tendon, and ligament. The main components of reticular fibres are type II collagen and elastin.
- Collagen supplements are used to treat joint pain and arthritis. Pork skin contains high levels of collagen, making it a good source of protein for healthy bones and joints. Bone broth is also rich in collagen, and it's easy to make at home.
However, foods containing collagen do not have enough to sustain your collagen loss, that's why there are concentrated supplements in the market - like collagen powder or collagen capsules.
Ok, I heard you. So what collagen supplement should I take?
The quick answer is - whatever suits your lifestyle.
The long answer is that collagen supplements are not really targeting a specific condition. If you suffer from collagen loss or you are simply ageing, you may experience wrinkles, hair loss, bags under your eyes, loose skin, brittle nails, or joint pain.
These are indications that your collagen levels are depleting. There are many collagen supplements in the market but as general rule collagen:
1. Collagen Supplements May improve skin health
If you want to see a visible, clear change in how your look and boost your confidence, then you should know that collagen is a major part of your skin.
Collagen strengthens your skin, as well as provides elasticity and hydration. As you age, your body produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and the formation of wrinkles.
Several studies in the past years have shown that collagen peptides may help slow the ageing of your skin effectively reducing wrinkles and dryness as they replenish the collagen that you are losing.
One review of 11 studies focusing mostly on women found that taking 3–10 grams of collagen per day for an average of 69 days led to improvements in skin elasticity and hydration.
2. Collagen Supplements May Relieve Joint Pain
Have you had joint pains lately? If so, you may need collagen. Collagen helps maintain your cartilage in good health, the rubber-like tissue that protects your joints.
As stated above, as you age, collagen levels drop, and your risk of degenerative joint disorders such as osteoarthritis increases.
Some studies suggest that collagen supplements may help improve symptoms of osteoarthritis and reduce overall joint pain. CORREXIKO customers reported that they saw a gradual relief when they used Marine Collagen powder for a consecutive 30 days period.
This supports the review of five studies on more than 500 people with osteoarthritis which found that supplementing their diet with 10 grams of collagen daily for an average of 24 weeks led to significant improvements in joint stiffness and self-reported joint pain. (Source)
If you want to try collagen supplements for potential pain-relieving effects, most research suggests that you’ll see an effect with 10 grams per day. With CORREXIKO this is easy - you just open your preferred collagen powder, take a spoonful or use our specially designed scoop and mix it with your food. Easy to dissolve, tasteless and with long-lasting effects (if you are consistent).
3. Collagen Supplements May Prevent Bone Loss
Fun fact: Did you know that your bones are made mostly of collagen? I bet my collagen pouch that you didn't!
Just as the collagen in your body deteriorates with age, so does bone mass. Bone mass loss may lead to osteoporosis, which is characterised by low bone density and a higher risk of bone fractures - plus bone and muscle pain.
Studies in the US note that collagen supplements may help replenish the bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis, which is good news for people suffering from it.
In a 12-month study, women took either a calcium supplement with 5 grams of collagen or a calcium supplement and no collagen daily.
When the study period was completed, the results stunned scientists. Women taking the calcium and collagen supplement had significantly lower blood levels of proteins that promote bone breakdown than those who took only the calcium (Source)
4. Collagen Supplements May Boost Muscle Mass
Not only does collagen help reverse ageing and also boost your bone mass and relieve joint pain, but it can also boost muscle mass.
There are a few studies which suggest that collagen supplements help boost muscle mass in people with sarcopenia, the loss of muscle mass that happens with age.
In a 2018 study that lasted 12 weeks, researchers took 27 men with this condition and asked them to consume 15 grams of collagen, which also included participating in a daily exercise program. Compared to men who exercised but didn’t take collagen, they gained significantly more muscle mass and strength. And yes, exercise played a role too (Source)
5. May promote heart health
There are some researchers that support that collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of heart attacks or other conditions. However, when it comes to serious diseases you must always consult with your doctor.
As we have said before, collagen provides the necessary bond to your arteries. If you do not have enough collagen, your arteries may become less flexible and elastic which may lead to problems like atherosclerosis, a disease that effectively closes your arteries and does not let blood pass through. This condition may lead to heart attack and stroke (Source)
We will be using some research again - this time, not a 12-week but a whole 6-month study, 31 healthy adults took 16 grams of collagen on a daily basis. The reulsts were very promising - all adults saw a significant reduction of artery stiffness from the study’s beginning to its conclusion. (Source)
So what collagen supplement should I take?
As discussed above, collagen is a protein that as you age, you get less and less produced. Depending on the condition you are facing, as stated above, taking collagen will start working towards improving your condition. We highly recommend taking pure collagen powder that has the following amazing benefits:
1. It is tasteless - contrary to liquid supplements that have a bitter taste, this tastes, well, nothing!
2. It is odourless, so this does not affect your morning/daily tea, coffee or breakfast/lunch routine.
3. Easy to mix & dissolve - simply take a scoop, mix it with your favourite food and you are done. Takes less than 1-2,- seconds!
4. Pure collagen powder has no sweeteners, which effectively means, you are not gaining any extra weight. Contrary to liquid collagen, in order to mask its horrible taste, manufacturers are using sweeteners and in effect, you are not only consuming harmful ingredients but you are gaining weight too. Pure collagen powder is pure protein, with no side effects.
5. Completely versatile - unlike liquid collagen, you can add collagen powder into your food while cook it, into your cakes, your smoothies, your salads - the sky is the limit.
Collagen supplements are linked with several health benefits and have no side effects. After all, collagen is a pure protein.
As we have seen above, studies support the fact that collagen supplements may improve skin health by reducing wrinkles and dryness, increasing muscle mass, preventing bone loss and relieving joint pain.
Taking collagen supplements is generally safe, easy to use, and worth trying based on your health goals. All you have to do is add it to your daily routine!